It is all too easy to neglect dental health, but as with most things in life – prevention is better than cure. Teeth help us to consume food, chew, and aid in communication. A healthy smile is a confident smile, so here Tavistock shares their top tips to avoid oral health problems:
- Brush twice daily to prevent decay, gum disease and bad breath. Preferably brush after breakfast and before bedtime, for a full 2 minutes, moving to a different quadrant of the mouth every 30 seconds.
- Use a good quality fluoride toothpaste and - if possible - an electric toothbrush.
- Change your toothbrush (or the head on your electric brush) every 3 months.
- Spit – don’t rinse. This allows the fluoride more time to be effective.
- Use floss or the correct sized interdental brush every day.
- Visit your dentist every six months and your hygienist every 3-6 months as advised.
- Avoid snacking on sugary foods, or try to restrict them to straight after mealtimes.
- Pass on good habits: teach your children good oral hygiene as soon as possible, supervise brushing until at least age seven, and get them in to see the dentist as soon as their first tooth appears.
Tavistock can help. We can show you how best to brush your teeth and give you specific advice on what is best for your personal oral hygiene routine. Request an appointment now.